Considered for a very long time as an obsolete piece, the pleated skirt is experiencing a dazzling return this year. Highlighted on the Fashion Week catwalks by many designers, it is the flagship piece of the ne o bourgeois trend : a look halfway between the city dweller and the BCBG. However, the pleated skirt has the advantage of adapting to many pieces and is not confined to a single style. It goes well with sweaters as well as perfectos or basic t-shirts. It can be worn rock, bohemian and even sportswear! What are the different ways to wear the pleated skirt this season? Is it made for your body type? Read our guide to learn all about the pleated skirt.
Pleated skirt for what morphology
If you still hesitate to fall for a pleated skirt , know that this skirt cut is suitable for all body types thanks to its lightness and fluidity.
How to wear the pleated skirt when you are round?
Thanks to its fluidity, the pleated skirt will go very well for body shapes with generous shapes. The ideal is not to choose too showy colors to avoid emphasizing the lower body . A dark, solid shade is a better choice for this type of figure. We will choose it well in a light material and we will avoid pleated leather skirts for example which would weigh down the silhouette. Instead, focus on the upper body with a nice neckline. For shoes: obviously if the goal is to appear more slender, opt for heels and wear the well cinched at the waist.
The pleated skirt when you are little
The pleated skirt is perfect for little ones because it lengthens the silhouette. However, be sure to wear it with high heels otherwise you will look shriveled! So we opt for a nice pair of heeled ankle boots. Always in order to appear larger, we will associate it with rather short tops like a perfecto, a denim jacket or a short blazer.
The pleated skirt when you are older
Conversely, if you are tall, it is better to avoid wearing the pleated skirt with high heels because you will risk looking really huge. A perfect choice is to mix it with trendy sneakers like a pretty pair of Gazelle from adidas which will go very well with this type of skirt. We can opt for high fluids or “loose” cuts for an ultra trendy look.
Which pleated skirt cut to choose?
There are different lengths of pleated skirts. You will see long and shorter ones. To wear it in a modern way and break the ‘too’ madam ‘effect of the long pleated dress, this year it is the pleated midi skirt that is in the spotlight. The midi skirt stops below the knees. To be warm this winter, choose materials such as leather, wool, velvet etc.
A big trend this season is to combine your midi skirt with a warm sweater. Enough to have fun when you see the huge choice of mesh in the shops. From XXL or oversized sweaters to close-fitting sweaters, you’re spoiled for choice.
What top with a pleated skirt?
Not always easy to know which top to wear with a pleated skirt . In summer, it’s easy, put on a t-shirt or a basic tank top and voila. In winter, we ask ourselves more questions because we want to be very hot despite the fact that we are in a skirt.
Here are a few tips :
- If you want a more formal look, pair your pleated skirt with a shirt or blouse. This will give you a very chic style. This season, we hear a lot about the neo bourgeois look . One of the highlights of this BCBG style is the pleated skirt. Your top must therefore be well adjusted to respect the codes of the chic and sophisticated lady. Why not opt for a mandarin collar tied around the neck?
- If on the contrary, you are more of a chic casual style, you can choose to wear a big warm sweater a little “loose” that you will fit into the skirt to enhance your size. You can also simply choose one of your favorite t-shirts accompanied by a perfecto or a denim jacket and then bundle up in an XXL scarf.
- If you want a sportswear look, know that the pleated skirt also goes very well with a hoodie! And yes, it really goes well with all styles and that’s why we love it!
Which jacket to choose for an urban chic look?
If you’re wondering which jacket to wear with a pleated skirt , look no further. The ideal piece for a modern look is the perfecto. The perfecto has become an essential piece in our dressings. Any self-respecting fashionista has at least one in her wardrobe that she will mix with all kinds of fashion pieces! Associated with a pleated skirt, its rock and rebellious spirit will break the straight look of the pleated skirt. Do you want to sound like Sarah Jessica Parker in “Sex and the city”? Wear it with a pretty pair of black ankle boots or high heels. Guaranteed glamor effect !!
What coat with a pleated skirt?
If there is one piece that is not obvious to mix with a coat, it is the pleated skirt. Because of its length, we don’t really know what type of coat to wear it … A coat that is too short will completely break the chic style of your skirt and a coat that is too long will hide your pretty outfit. But then which coat to choose with a pleated skirt?
In terms of length, the ideal is to choose a coat at the knees or just above the knees. You will be very warm with a big wool coat or a faux fur coat .
The pleated skirt is a skirt that can be worn in winter as well as in summer! No need to put it in the closet once the heat is over. It goes with all kinds of fashion pieces and goes very easily with many shoes. In neo chic bourgeois version with a beautiful silk blouse or in rock version with boots, a white t-shirt and a perfecto.
- 1 Pleated skirt for what morphology
- 2 How to wear the pleated skirt when you are round?
- 3 The pleated skirt when you are little
- 4 The pleated skirt when you are older
- 5 Which pleated skirt cut to choose?
- 6 What top with a pleated skirt?
- 7 Which jacket to choose for an urban chic look?
- 8 What coat with a pleated skirt?