Puffed sleeves, the name already evokes many associations with dusty folklore or traditional looks from grandma’s time. But don’t be too hasty: the new, modern version of the voluminous sleeves is anything but old-fashioned – and is one of the hottest trends in spring and summer 2020. Puff sleeves have a long tradition. They were worn by men and women as early as the Renaissance, and became popular in women’s fashion, particularly in the Biedermeier era. In combination with corsets and wide skirts, the visual effect was enhanced at the time.
During this time, the so-called club sleeves also appeared: puff sleeves that merge into a tight-fitting sleeve. Later in the 70s and 80s, the statement sleeves made a brilliant comeback, then disappeared for a long time and are now omnipresent in the course of the popular retro revival in spring fashion. No wonder that puffed sleeves were one of the most seen elements on the runways. Bloggers and fashion professionals are now bringing the trend to the streets and providing proof
Puff sleeves by the designers
The designers love the extraordinary look with puff sleeves: Marc Jacobs showed dico glamor on the catwalk with shimmering fabrics, XXL puff sleeves and eye-catching loops. The Zimmermann label was inspired by the cowboy look of the wild west and showed white blouses with embroidery and puff sleeves, while they adorned charming floral dresses at Brock Collection and Erdem. At Chloé you could see voluminous shoulders and Isabel Marant, master of the French boho look, showed the modern puff sleeve version on the runway: folklore met shimmering fabrics that give the perfect party look and also denim dresses with puffed sleeves a style upgrade.
How to wear the fashion trend in summer
What the off-shoulder blouses were last season are now tops and dresses with large puff sleeves. But not only blouses and tops become eye-catchers thanks to the bulged shoulders, dresses, jackets and knitted sweaters now also score with extra volume on the sleeves. If you want to slowly approach the trend, choose light puff sleeves on cotton shirts or knitted sweaters, which can be combined particularly well with jeans or track pants.
Balloon sleeves come into their own when the material is more stable – as with solid fabrics such as seersucker , organza, cord or taffeta. Sneakers for dresses with puff sleeves are a nice change in style – this breaks the more girlish look and gives it more edge. But tops with puff sleeves also look great with culotte or Marlene pants
Combine the trend on cooler days
The romantic, playful look with puff sleeves evokes associations with summer and beach, but you can also wear a trend on cooler days. Then in the form of stylish knitted sweaters with puffed up sleeves. Looks great with jeans or flowing maxi skirts. Particularly great: tone-on-tone combinations as seen here at Gala Gonzalez:
The most beautiful key pieces with puff sleeves
- White blouses or with black polka dots : whether wrapped, buttoned or laced, cut short or long – puffed sleeves give that certain something. In the office they can be combined with high waist jeans, ankle boots or ankle boots and velvet blazers.
- Black blouses: look a little finer and more elegant than white models. Models made of satin or silk are great, especially in combination with a leather skirt or cord blazer.
- Simple cotton tops and knitted sweaters with puff sleeves: perfect for everyday wear, with jeans, skirts or shorts.
- Trench coat with puff sleeves: can be combined with jeans, skirt or dress, an additional belt at the waist plays with the body shapes.
- Short-cut jackets or coats with puff sleeves: good choice with midi skirts or high waisted jeans.
- Long dresses with puff sleeves: just slip on and be dressed perfectly. Loafers, mules or slippers make the look casual, it gets more elegant with heels.
Summer favorite: long dresses with puff sleeves
In addition to puff-sleeved blouses, long, flowing dresses with extra volume on the shoulders are the key piece of summer. Whether the look is more girly-playful or tough comes with the choice of shoes and accessories. Flat shoes like loafers, mules or loafers look casual, high shoes more elegant. Sneakers are a beautiful break in style and take the girlish. Gold jewelry looks elegant with white summer dresses and a statement can also be made with the right sunglasses . But it’s better not to overdo it and put on a statement piece, otherwise the look will quickly appear overloaded.