As a wedding guest, it is not easy: you shouldn’t steal the show from the bride in a fashionable way and should therefore rather hang everything that is too short, revealing or conspicuous in your wardrobe on this day. But what should the perfect guest outfit look like? I give you valuable tips.
Pay attention to the dress code
Does the wedding couple state a dress code in the invitation? Great, because part of the decision is already taken from you. Stick to the guidelines, because the bride and groom have certainly thought of something. The wishes and preferences of the hosts should definitely be respected. If the bride and groom have not specified a dress code, the three W’s come into play: Who? When? Where? If the wedding takes place in the registry office, a shift dress would be suitable. If the bride and groom in the city park say yes, they are also welcome to wear a maxi dress and floral decorations in their hair. If the celebrations take place in a castle, the long evening dress can be used. So always keep an eye on the entire framework of the celebration.
The absolute no-gos for wedding guests
Have you ever worn a white dress as a guest at a wedding? Hopefully not! The color white is reserved for the bride only! This also applies to dresses in the shades of cream, champagne, ivory and whatever their name is. White colors are off limits to guests – unless the bride asks for it. Maybe you remember the wedding of Prince William and Duchess Kate? Kate’s sister and bridesmaid Pippa looked adorable in her outfit, but there was almost more talk about her white dress than that of the bride.
Find out here which colors and looks you should also keep away from at weddings:
- Stick to the “too rule”: You should avoid anything that is too flashy, too short or too sexy on this day
- Even if it’s the color of love: striking tones like signal red can be problematic and steal the bride’s show
- The color black symbolizes grief and should therefore not be worn at a wedding. Do you love stylish black? Then it helps if you brighten up the outfit with a different colored bag, brooch or cloth
- A special sensitivity is required for church weddings: the dress should not be cut too short and not too décolleté and the shoulders should be covered. So have a cardigan or stole in your handbag. After the church more skin can be shown again
So what does the perfect look for wedding guests look like?
With a knee-length cocktail or shift dress in pretty pastel colors like pink and light blue, you are generally on the safe side. If you want to spread it a bit more eye-catching and in a good mood, you can go for a summer dress with floral patterns. The same applies here: Always keep the framework of the wedding in mind.
Styling from top to bottom: the perfect shoes and accessories
Great high heels are always a good idea and just go perfectly with clothes. They can be adapted to the color of the dress or combined with the other accessories to match the dress. There is another special feature here: Unlike the clothes, you are welcome to use light shades like cream for the shoes and accessories.
Don’t stand fashionably in the rain with simple and practical tips
Rain is coming for the big day? The day in summer is too cold? Or is it a winter wedding you are celebrating? No panic! Every wedding outfit can be made weatherproof! With the following tips and tricks you prepare yourself for all eventualities:
- Mini umbrella ; fits in every handbag and can be a chic accessory in the right color
- Trench coat ; can be wonderfully combined with dresses. But also make sure that the overall color fits and, for example, wears a beige coat with shoes of the same color
- Cardigan or bolero ; protects you from cold churches and windy days. If it is even colder, you can use the elegant coat.
- Tights ; always a good decision! With the skin-colored version in 15 or 20 den you are spot on. If this is too thin for you, you can also come back to opaque versions. But also here applies: The color of the tights should harmonize with the dress.
- Leave the sandals in the car when the rain is pouring and at least replace them in the air with firmer shoes . In the warm you can present your high heels again.
Would you like something more casual?
Not everyone likes to wear a dress. But it shouldn’t be blue jeans. Instead, pastel-colored jeans or culottes, combined with elegant blouses, are recommended. Jumpsuits are also very popular with wedding guests.
What the man should wear
Your companion is well advised to choose a discreet, dark suit or dark trousers with a jacket. So he will never run the risk of looking fancier than the groom. Suits in dark blue are still very popular this year. In any case, the following applies: no matter what the temperature – the jacket is only taken off when the groom has removed his.